- 2 pounds (about 4 medium) zucchini (or other summer squash)
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 medium onion, finely minced
- 2 ears corn kernels cut from the cob or 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour (alternative gluten free flours such as almond or cassava can be
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Olive or vegetable oil for frying
Grate the zucchini with a food processor or box grater. Transfer to a large colander set over a bowl or in the sink and sprinkle with salt. Let stand for 10 minutes and with your hands or a clean dishtowel squeeze out as much of the liquid as you can.
Stir in the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
In a large cast iron or heavy stainless steel skillet, heat 2 Tbsp. oil over medium high heat until shimmering. Without overcrowding the pan, carefully drop 1/3 cupfuls of batter into the skillet and press down with a spatula to flatten. Cook until golden brown on each side.
Can be served with an Herbed Sour Cream Sauce:
Combine 1 cup sour cream with 2 Tbsp. each of minced chives and fresh basil. Add 1/2 tsp. of lemon zest and season with salt and pepper.