- 1 lb. mushrooms – roughly chopped cremini, shitake, button, or portobello
- 2 shallots roughly chopped
- 2 leeks – thinly sliced, green tops removed
- 4 cloves fresh garlic – finely chopped
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 6 cups beef broth or beef bone broth
- 1 tbsp fresh tarragon or thyme
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp Avocado oil or cooking fat of your choice
- Fresh chives – finely chopped for garnish
- Preheat a Dutch oven or stock pot over medium-high heat. Add beef broth to a separate sauce pan and set over med-low heat so that it warms up.
- Add cooking fat to the Dutch oven or stock pot. When fully heated through, add shallots and leeks. Cook about 8-10 minutes or until leeks have softened. Add garlic and cook an additional 2-3 minutes. Add mushrooms and season with a pinch of salt and sauté 12-15 minutes or until water has evaporated. **Set aside 1/4 cup sautéed mushrooms for garnish.
- Add half of the coconut milk and stir to coat. Scrape and brown bits on the bottom of the pot. Add the remaining coconut milk and simmer until reduced in volume by half (approx. 4-5min).
- Add half the beef broth and stir to coat. Scrape and brown bits on the bottom of the pot. Add the remaining beef broth and tarragon and bring to a simmer. Take off the heat and allow to cool.
- Transfer soup to a blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Return soup to Dutch oven and taste for seasoning. Adjust salt and pepper as required, and garnish with chives.